Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Remembered 2007

I sat in the last row of the plane in the window seat. A female passenger was standing next to the row.
“I can’t decide where to sit,” she said to me. “I left my luggage up there and have a seat there but I was thinking of sitting here instead.”
I smiled but didn’t respond.
She wandered back up to the middle of the plane, looked at that seat, wandered back to the last row and ultimately sat down in the aisle seat in my row.
“I’ve finally made my decision,” she said. I smiled.
“My name is Doretha,” she said to me.
I smiled more broadly. “My name is Doretha,” I said.
“I knew there was a reason I was drawn to this seat.”
I learned that she is the first lady of her church in the Hood.
She learned my husband’s story.
“May I pray with you?” she asked.
“Yes.”
She placed her hands over mine and we bowed our heads. She spoke beautiful words about our marriage and asked God to grant the hopeful wishes in my heart.
Silent warm tears streamed down my face.
From her lips to God’s Ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment